[Bioperl-l] Re: Seq or SeqIO to BSML

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 20:21:06 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Nathan O. Siemers wrote:

> Hello Ewan,
>
>         As mentioned, we have volunteered to write a BSML output
>         module for Seq or SeqIO objects, initially for use with
>         ensembl but of course to be designed to be generally useful.

Basically go for SeqIO system and from there we can put in additional
hooks.

>         Could you provide a data dumper output of a fairly small but
>         richly annotated area of the genome from ensembl?  We can eval
>         it up locally and use it as our starting point.

It is easy to generate -> go to ensembl -> find a gene rich region ->
click on export -> click on generate flat file

>         Finally, I would welcome discussion as to where this code
>         should eventually be placed (how tightly integrated?)  in the
>         bioperl structure.

It should be a SeqIO module, working off RichSeq definitions like
embl/genbank but able to cope with Bio::SeqI stuff. I'll handle any
necessary ensembl extensions first off as it will probably confuse you ;)

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.