[Bioperl-l] Namespace for the DrawableBioSeq?

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:35:24 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, David Block wrote:

> Hello!  We are preparing for a cvs add of our DrawableBioSeq object, which
> is described at our wiki, linked to from BioPerl's wiki site.  In short,
> it will accept any Bio::SeqI compliant object and draw it, either
> horizontally or vertically, with all of its subfeatures.  We use it as the
> heart of our Annotation Workbench, but it comes with an API so it can be
> used in any way you like.
>
> Coming with it are the BioTkPerl modules, resurrected after being sort of
> lost for many years.  Thanks to Nomi Harris for reviving them, although we
> have played with them to make them do what we want.
>
> So, where do we put this stuff?  We have a DrawableBioSeq that includes a
> Bio::SeqI object as one of its attributes.  We have the BioTkPerl modules
> that are required for this object, but will be useful in their own
> right.  Note that this requires Tk - an external dependency.
>
> Originally I was thinking of Bio::Seq::Drawable, but our module couldn't
> be both a Bio::SeqI and a Tk::MainWindow at the same time.  So it isn't a
> Bio::SeqI in that sense, but it accepts one as a parameter.
>
> So, do we start our own namespace?

I think probably best to put it in Bio::Tk::DrawableSeq or
Bio::Tk::SeqCanvas (if it is a canvas)

Next question - should we put this in the main cvs module or make a new
cvs module? I vote for a new cvs module called

bioperl-gui

or something similar...