[Bioperl-l] genpept/swiss

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:08:42 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Arlin Stoltzfus wrote:

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:

<snip>

> Are projects like BioPerl headed toward the daunting complexity of
> NCBI's toolbox, but without the same level of rigor?  And has the
> scale of data interchange become so vast that meta-descriptions of data
> in languages like ASN.1 and XML are the only way to prevent the Babel
> effect?  Is it time for a change in approach?  Just five years ago most
> people doing bioinformatics were self-taught as programmers, and this
> made it easy to justify taking the path of least resistance when it
> came to development.   But now it seems that we have lots of highly
> trained computing talent out there, and lots of ambition and enthusiasm
> about systematic projects like BioPerl.  Is it time to bite the bullet,
> before things get worse?

Definitely. Bite away. The place in my mind to coordinate this is at

biomxl.org

I would *love* to see well supported, rigorous data formats, defined at
the XML-DTD or XML-Schema or indeed ASN.1 for all I care, shared between
the projects.

Well volunteered to become a standard bearer in this effort and get out
there and give us some code!