[Bioperl-l] 0.6.2 and /examples

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:44:13 -0400 (EDT)

I've installed 0.6.2pre3 on both Linux (Caldera 2.3) and Solaris (2.4)
with no problems (though I think the README should reference
IO-stringy as a possible external dependency, at least according to
/examples/blast/blast_seq.pl).

However, having installed it (and trying to teach myself bioperl as I
go), I have run into some warnings and exceptions in /examples.

I am happy to fix these scripts (and add some comments to help other
newcomers) if anyone can give me some pointers on how to re-write
around these error conditions.

With "examples/rev_and_trans.pl" I get

  MSG: ./rev_and_trans.pl:35 Seq::str - deprecated method. You should
  use $obj->seq in preference

and

  MSG: ./rev_and_trans.pl:41 Seq::out_fasta - deprecated method. You
  should use the SeqIO package in preference

and with "examples/psw.pl" in the blosum alignment I get