[Bioperl-l] Re: primary_seq

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:54:19 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
> >
> > > My concern here is also that the code doing this on either branch/trunk
> > > is probably wrong, given the recent bug-fix in embl.pm (removal of
> > > explicit creation of a PrimarySeq object). I'm wondering whether we
> > > should scan all SeqIO modules for this potential bug and fix them all.
> > > Ewan, what do you think.
> > >

> > We should scan for these explicit primary_seq makes. James and I were
> > looking at this a couple of weeks ago and wondering how best to do things.
> >

> Done. It seems that swiss.pm was the only additional parser creating
> primary_seq explicitely, and I fixed it on both the main trunk and the
> branch.

great.

> > We have a *big* problem with desc as it is present both on primary_seq and
> > annotation, and justifably on both. All very messy, but it seems to be
> > main trunk stuff here.
> >

> Agreed. I think we should have a TODO list for such kind of stuff to be
> kept in mind. Or is the Wiki the right place for it?

I think wiki is the place for this.

We have had more of these problems with Ensembl and I my mind I think
there is the start of a sort of "coupling" paradigm which is somewhat
event-focused.

This event-style coupling allows modules to be used in standalone fashion
or coupled together and then work cleanly. I guess I should put forward a
proposal ;)

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.