Bioperl: bioperl-corba 0.1 release

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:05:03 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Jason Stajich wrote:

> Bioperl Corba server and client code release 0.1 is available at
> ftp://bioperl.org/pub/jason/bioperl-corba-client-0.1.tar.gz
> ftp://bioperl.org/pub/jason/bioperl-corba-server-0.1.tar.gz

Great stuff Jason. I think this is a good starting point for us to look at
true cross-project interoperability.

We have, I think designed this quite well. People who are interested in
providing large datasets to bioperl and don't want either go through pain
for bioperl/biopython/biojava three times should really look at this.
People who are interested in using CORBA with Perl should also take a look
- CORBA ORBit is very easy to use once you grok it.

> This requires Corba::ORBit, Exception, and Bioperl >= 0.06.
>
> If you wish to contribute or improve this code, the CVS repositories are
> as always:
> bioperl-corba-client
> bioperl-corba-server
>
> Interoperability has been tested with both biopython and biojava and
> it meets all specifications.  Please see the Changes files for any known
> bugs or unsupported features.
>
> Thanks to major contributors to this project:
> Ewan Birney and Brad Chapman.
>
> Issues like performance and memory management for very large
> sequences/data sets were not thoroughly tested for this release.  Please
> hammer on this code and feel free to report problems or provide fixes
> yourself.

I'd like to emphaise this point that we need to stress test it (anyone
fancy taking this for a serious spin somewhere?) Memory management is the
bug-bear of distributed computing.