Bioperl: Re: Bioperl-guts: WindowsNT bug in Seq.pm

James Gilbert jgrg@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 22 May 2000 17:03:52 +0100 (BST)

Derek,

This suggests to me that you have a version of
Perl prior to 5.004 on the Windows NT machine.

Before 5.004 you had to say:

	my $i;
	foreach $i (@numbers) {

But now you can say:

	foreach my $i (@numbers) {

I think we should put a test in the distribution
to trap this.  I'll try and work out how to do
this.

	James

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Gatherer, D. (Derek) wrote:

> On Windows NT the following 1-line script
>
> use Bio::Seq;
>
> produces the following error message:
>
> Missing $ on loop variable at C:\Perl\lib/Bio/Tools/CodonTable.pm line 429
> BEGIN FAILED-- compilation aborted at C:\Perl\lib/Bio/PrimarySeqI.pm line
> 115
> BEGIN FAILED-- compilation aborted at C:\Perl\lib/Bio/SeqI.pm line 89
> BEGIN FAILED-- compilation aborted at C:\Perl\lib/Bio/Seq.pm line 99
> BEGIN FAILED-- compilation aborted at C:\test.pl line 1
>
> 'test.pl' being the above 1-liner.
>
> This bug does not occur on Windows 98.  I spotted this last week on 06, and
> retested this week on 06.1.  It's still there.  I haven't tested 06.1 on
> Windows98 yet, but 06 was working fine.
> Project URL: http://bio.perl.org
> http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Perl/Bio/vsns-bcd-perl-guts.html

James G.R. Gilbert
The Sanger Centre
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge                        Tel: 01223 494906
CB10 1SA                         Fax: 01223 494919