Bioperl: Bioperl 0.6.1 release

hilmar.lapp@pharma.Novartis.com hilmar.lapp@pharma.Novartis.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 22:44:33 +0100

In addition, subspecies should now be correctly
parsed and printed.  I've added a sub_species
(should be "subspecies"?) method to Bio::Species,

     Wasn't this already there? At least in the main trunk.

classifiication() now returns the same list as before, to preserve
backwards compatibility, but (thanks to Hilmar for

     Backward compatibility is generally a good thing, but shouldn't dominate
     design, at least IMHO. I think a method for set/get that does not return
     the same array as it requires is not well designed. So, I think either
     subspecies must be set through sub_species($subspecies) only, or if it
     allowed to be passed to classification(), it
     should be returned there as well.

     I'm talking of course of the main trunk, not the 0.6.1 branch. Backward
     compatibility
     is obviously more important there.

I'm going to put an 0.6.1 release candidate on the
ftp site on Friday 12th, and do the release proper
next week.  Please scream now if there's a fix you
want to see in there which hasn't yet been done.

     I have some fixes to FTHelper.pm waiting to be committed (main trunk), but
     Keith's review of the snippet I've sent him is still pending. If his
     previous code was correct, then my fix requires a small change.

     Without these fixes, GenBank, EMBL and SwissProt in their current releases
     will fail to be parsed. With the fixes propagated (after commitment) to the
     branch, some features will still fail, but result in warnings and lost
     features.

          Hilmar