[Bioperl-l] Different File Formats

Strassel, Chris cstrassel@netgenics.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:37:07 -0500

Marc,

Here are 3 locations that might be helpful. They describe databases, but
also go through the formats and define each line/field.

Chris

For GenBank:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Sitemap/samplerecord.html

SwissProt:
http://www.expasy.ch/txt/userman.txt

GeneSeq:
http://www.derwent.com/data/geneuserguide.pdf

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Colosimo [mailto:MEColosimo@alumni.carnegiemellon.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 7:16 PM
To: bioperl-l@bioperl.org
Subject: [Bioperl-l] Different File Formats

I have a somewhat novice question. Is there a paper or place (book, web
site, etc.) that describes all of the generally used formats? I know
FASTA and can pick the parts out of a genbank file that I need. But
there seems to be a lot of other formats out there (GCG, EMBL, and
others) and I really don't know what use they might be or what's in
them. Thanks in advance.

Marc