[Bioperl-l] Database Management System

David Block dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:19:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Lt Zhong wrote:

> All,
>
> What database Management System do you use internally
> for bioinformatics purpose? Oracle? AS400? or others?
> Any suggestions?  We try to set up a new database and
> have choices to use either Oracle or AS400.

There is Oracle expertise on the list, but the majority of us work with
MySQL, which is free, GPL, and very fast.  www.mysql.com.  For
bioinformatics purposes, with proper backups and a recovery plan, MySQL is
everything we need.

BioPerl itself is database-agnostic- the backend stuff is up to you to
implement.

> I am not sure if it's a proper question here.  If not,
> I apologize for that.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> LTZ

For an example installation of MySQL (with a sample schema), see the
website below.

--
David Block
dblock@gene.pbi.nrc.ca