[Bioperl-l] Re: Developing Improved Bioperl Documentation

Kris Boulez krbou@pgsgent.be
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:16:17 +0100

Quoting Peter Schattner (schattner@alum.mit.edu):
> Kris Boulez wrote:
> > >
> > My plan is to start writing cookbook-like documentation (see an earlier
> > mail from Ewan), based on the SYNOPSIS part of each module's
> > documentation. In the mean time chekcing these section for correctness.
> >
> > Kris,
>
> Kris, I gather now that the sort of cookbook that you (and Brian?) are
> planning is rather different than the type of tutorial that I have been
> envisioning.  I don’t think this is bad.  After all, in learning new
> software (as in coding our favorite computer language) there is a
> something to be said for "having more than one way to do it".  I think
> that your cookbook would be complementary (and I would hope also
> complimentary ;-) to the tutorial I would like to write.
>

> =========================
> Bioperl Tutorial - outline

[ .. ]

Wow, I think this will be a very good thing.

I also think that our approaches are complimentary (and should not
interfere).

Two (related) questions:
- In which format will this be written (Wiki, LaTex, plain text, POD,
  HTML, ...) ?
- Will this be put under bioperl-live or will we use a different CVS
  repository (there exists a bioperl-cookbook) ?

Kris,