[Bioperl-l] Bioperl NT update

Peter Schattner schattner@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:40:25 -0800

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Peter Schattner wrote:
> > I think the best bet would be to completely skip all the tests relating
> > to these modules unless the host OS is a Unix variant.  Alternatively,
> > the tests could presumably live with precomputed output to be used if
> > the Bioperl installation test-harness detects a non-unix environment .
> > However I do not know how to incorporate either of these approaches in
> > the Bioperl installation.  Can anyone help?
> >

>         $ perl -e 'print $^O,"\n";'

Thanks for the tip. Thanks also to Todd & JC  for the info re what to
expect in windows & Macs.  I will use this info to skip around the
relevant tests in Clustalw.t, etc.   (Shelly, do I understand from your
last post that the problem has gone away - under NT at least?)

> What is the problem with precomputed results?

Perhaps I don’t understand what is meant by precomputed results.  I
assumed you meant making a file with the answers that the test program
expects and using those answers if the OS is non-unix.  That approach
seems less maintainable than simply skipping the tests if the OS is
non-unix.

-- Peter