[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::WebDBSeqI

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:48:50 -0800

"Osborne, Brian" wrote:

> Bioperl,
>
> > Do you think maintaining a collection of the respective external modules
> > on the bioperl FTP site mitigates the additional trouble, or are you
> > afraid that these most of the time will be outdated?
>
> Yes, I am afraid of that. In addition, I think of CPAN as one of Perl's
> great
> strengths. 'perl -e shell -MCPAN' is the best installation program I've
> ever used, I think.

I agree. Just tried it, it's excellent. It upgraded on-the-fly my
File::Spec upon unmet version required by File::Temp. Now I have
File::Spec::tmpdir(), too. Cool.

This should make LWP installation and the tens of packages it depends on
a smooth ride. I can imagine that this is also superior to downloading
all packages from a bioperl FTP site, unless you don't have internet
connection (but then, how do you download bioperl?).

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757