[Bioperl-l] Re: Bio::DB::WebSeqDB and Bio::DB::GenBank

Paul Gordon gordonp@niji.imb.nrc.ca
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:55:57 -0400 (AST)

> ASN.1 has been NCBI's format of choice for years, long before they even
> thought about adopting XML. Their ASN.1 schema is probably also much
> stabler than the XML equivalent. If we only had a parser for it. There
> is even a module out on CPAN:
> http://search.cpan.org/doc/GBARR/Convert-ASN1-0.07/lib/Convert/ASN1.pod
>
> I don't know how useful this could be. Any people on the list with
> experience or feelings in this regard?

I've tried it previously, albeit not in _great_ detail, but it didn't seem
to handle the comprehensive NCBI ASN.1 specification and is a bit hackish
in dealing with macros (or whatever the ASN.1 term is that I can't
remember).  I don't know if it would be easy to rescue or not...

Paul Gordon                                     Paul.Gordon@nrc.ca
Genomic Technologies				http://maggie.cbr.nrc.ca
Institute for Marine Biosciences
National Research Council Canada