[Bioperl-l] Extremely Bad News for 0.6.2 release

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:24:43 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> Some very bad news.... turns out I need to learn a bit more about CVS. Due
> to 'sticky' tags, I didn't get all the info on differences between
> branch-06 and the head of the CVS trunk. The result? My initial estimate
> of 2225 lines of diffs is now revised to 23113 lines of diffs, covering
> 183 out of 307 files in the BioPerl tree.

Well... I guess you have to learn sometime...

> So - where to from here? I'm going to go through another process of
> deciding which changes are significant, but it would be useful if
> volunteers could step forward so that I could spread the workload. Can
> anyone who has time to write up the significance of changes in a
> particular branch of the tree please contact me?

I think this is sort of the wrong way around about this. Lots of the
changes are due to new things on the main trunk: eg, variation stuff,
Prints scan, hilmar's gene structure etc etc.

I would make a list of "known issues" by looking at the bug list and
asking this list. Here is a first stab

   - genbanking parsing in SeqIO
   - removal of dead code (Sim4) from branch
   - documentation/changes updates
   - BLAST bugs (needs triage)
   - stupid deprecated things (eg, examples/*.pl throw warnings)

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.