Bioperl: Bioperl conference

J. H. Park jong@salt2.med.harvard.edu
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:23:20 -0500

Hi,

> > Well, I've simply confirmed last fall that we can most likely get a room at
> > no cost, at a nearby facilty (DKFZ); one research group leader there said
> > that he intents to vouch for us.
> > E.g. we could have a one-day meeting before or shortly after the
> > conference-- this should be worked out soon though, the longer we
> > wait the more limited our options. (eg we'd need a room that is
> > already well-equipped with computers, b/c I don't see anyone who
> > could manage a non-neglegible amount of on-site technical installation).
> >

> I think this is brilliant. I would prefer to set it up before ISMB (as by
> the end I usually have complete conference fatigue - as I am sure many
> other people do). Georg - can you tentatively book a room with computers

I agree entirely, the earlier the better.

> if at all possible - for a time over this period, so we can make sure we
> can do this? Then we have to figure out
>
>         The potential dates I am suggesting therefore is either thursday
> 5th August (just before) or Friday 6th August (overlapping with the
> tutorial day). I'm marginally keener for the thursday.

>         - format of the 'day'
>         - costs (if any?) and how to fund them
>         - how to get applicants and decide who comes if there are limited
>           places
>         - how (if at all) to coordinate with ISMB
>         - web site presence etc...

I thinkt it is important to list the session as 1) a formally organized,
2) well supported by the ISMB organizers and 3) well publicized... 4)....

It might lead to other more language specific sessions in the conference
in the tuture if it turned out to be popular and useful. Even though
there are tutorials, there is no 'working, hands-on and hacking' level
meetings while some developers will be keen in exchanging knowledge at
that level.

> I suspect someone needs to volunteer to coordinate all this. ;) Any
> volunteers out there for sorting it out? We should probably have a guy
> in charge and a commitee and Georg should at least be on the commitee
> as he will be closest to heidelberg... (sorry Georg!)

I personally feel there are many excellent and enthusiastic people in
the list. We can perhaps ask people to nominate as many people as possible over
the list as well as people who want to volunteer and experience
organising this kind of thing.
Personally, I will be glad to see all the very active
developers in the list and any new comers to produce something
informative and productive at the ISMB99(I am attending it this year
as long as my plane doesn't go down over Atlantic).

To get applicants, bioperl session organizers can perhaps ask the ISMB
organizer to 1) email a short message all the participants of the
conf. about Bioperl meeting and possibly point to ISMB99 or bio.perl.org
or wherever web page for further information and simple
registration 2) put a or more paper slip in the conference booklet
on bioperl meet 3) Advertise over Bionet or any relevant usenet about
bioperl meeting. 4).....

My personal, and common sense on the format of the day, we could ask
some willing active developers of bioperl to 1) introduce, 2) then some details
3) some discussion and debates(unless people have some informal questioning
times 4) future direction and suggesions..

Cheers,

Jong

--
... Science is not a craftsmanship nor a simple clever discovery
of nature. It is not a task for any clever mind with a good