Bioperl: Bioperl conference

Georg Fuellen fuellen@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:51:35 +0100 (MET)

> Ewan Birney writes:
>  >
>  > On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, J. H. Park wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi Ewan,
>  > >
>  > > As a lot of people seem to be interested in Bioperl and perl
>  > > for biology in general, how about organizing a small
>  > > conference specifically for Biological Perl so that people
>  > > can debate, contribute, day-dream about the future, exchange
>  > > ideas and codes etc. It will be fun and informative.
>  > > What do you think?
>  > >
>  >
>  > I think getting together is great news. I think the obvious thing
>  > is to piggy-back another conference - in particular I am thinking
>  > about ISMB. I don't know if anyone has started to seriously organise
>  > that (does someone want to step forward?) but I guess we would be
>  > looking to do something a little more structured than at the last ISMB,
>  > though I don't think very structured.
>
> It is likely too late to submit an official tutorial/workshop for ISMB.
> Abstracts were due 10 Jan 99; full proposals are due 5 Feb 99. I think
> a more informal hands-on, how-to session would be useful. Georg
> Fuellen mentioned the possibility to one of the ISMB-99 organizers,
> but I don't know if he submitted anything officially.

Well, I've simply confirmed last fall that we can most likely get a room at
no cost, at a nearby facilty (DKFZ); one research group leader there said
that he intents to vouch for us.
E.g. we could have a one-day meeting before or shortly after the
conference-- this should be worked out soon though, the longer we
wait the more limited our options. (eg we'd need a room that is
already well-equipped with computers, b/c I don't see anyone who
could manage a non-neglegible amount of on-site technical installation).

best wishes,
georg
P.S. I'm currently buried w/ work, but next week I intent to comment
at least on the alignment object.
-re- the recent discussion on the guts list on
inaedaquate equipment for bio.perl.org, I'm wondering whether
it wouldn't be a good idea to approach the Perl Institute -- not just
to get the small amount of money needed, but also because if we receive
some, we've got some blessing that may help us receive further funding
support if we like to apply for it. In any case, I can also contribute
a small amount of cash myself.
-re- mirroring of bio.perl.org... Isn't the CPAN mirroring system
(almost) all we need ?