Bioperl: XML/BioPerl

Paul Gordon pgordon@cs.dal.ca
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:15:35 -0400 (AST)

It may be of interest to the bioperlers to note that "BIOML" in these
discussions seems to be used in reference to several supersets of said
markup.  I based my parser on BIOML Proposal 19990110, which I presumed to
be the reference for BIOML.

Call me a purist, but I'm against adding attributes that are not part of
the DTD.  As tempting as it is to add attributes to suit the application
(which seems to be the case for both BIOML servers mentioned here), I
think it will lead to problems like their are in HTML (browser
compatibility, etc).  Extra data markup is probably better kept in
processing instructions and externally resolved entities in XML.

Regards,
	Paul Gordon
	Institute for Marine Biosciences
	National Research Council of Canada