Bioperl: How to set a time limit?

Alexander Sczyrba asczyrba@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:45:27 +0100

Is there a way in Perl to set a time limit on running shell programs?
Let's say I'd like a script to allow a program 5 minutes to
execute, terminate the program and then move on.

Our WWW server terminates the connection after 5 minutes. So if a user
submits data that will run a process for more than 5 minutes, he gets
a 'document contains no data' back.  How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander