NJ meeting & BioPerl

Chris Dagdigian cdagdigian@genetics.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:18:01 -0400

I won't be able to make the NJ meeting because of a conflict...going to a conference on
"Integrating Databases and Web Technology" in San Diego.

I think I will be able to get company support to allow me to become involved in the
Bioinformatics Domain discussions for CORBA/IIOP in the very near future. The reason
being that the most valuable asset of Genetics Institute is the vast amounts of
intellectual property we have. One of the projects I am working on is a big effort
to make sure that all the info that we have sitting in various research/discovery
databases is available enterprise-wide. To that end we have been looking at CORBA as
a possible solution for allowing browsing and visualization tools to draw data from any
company database or scientific instrument regardless of platform, location or operating
system.

If I start attending the CORBA Bioinformatics organizational meetings I will be more than happy
to also promote BioPerl and our efforts as much as possible. I realize that I'm not the best
technical person to represent our group but I can at least talk the project up and direct people
to our URL's and members.

-BioPerl-

My biggest priority is correctly configuring MakeMaker so that BioSeq gets correctly configured
if ReadSeq is found on the system. After I have a perfect "perl Makefile.PL, make test, make
install" package it can be released immediatly and I can get to work on internal bug fixes and
improvements.

Regards,
Chris Dagdigian