Bioperl: BLAST.pm

Chris Dagdigian cdagdigian@genetics.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:50:01 -0500

Everybody I've run across seems to have their own internal Blast/Fasta scripts & modules for
starting, parsing and HTMLifying searches. The problem is that very few of them have been put
into the public domain. The public stuff out there is mostly scattered across individual web
pages and is pretty hard to locate.

We need to get a Blast.pm and a Fasta.pm into CPAN for the individual scientists who don't have
the time or programming staff to reinvent the wheel.

My group (at GI) has a nice object oriented Blast.pm module that is pretty flexible. I'll put it
up somewhere if people are willing to comment on it. If it seems useful I am confident that I
can get 'official' permission from my company to put it in the public domain.

Even gathering a bunch of similar modules from different people/sources and making them
available via CPAN would be nice. People could then pick and choose what makes sense for them.

Regards,
Chris Dagdigian
Genetics Institute

===== Bioperl Project General Mailing List Message Footer =======