Seq.pm - new version

Georg Fuellen fuellen@chagall.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 17:15:16 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks again to Chris for his efforts! Chris wrote,
>  Hi folks,
>
>  The new Seq.pm can be found at http://www.ayf.org/~c_raffi/bioperl/
>
>  The HTML version of the pod docs is at:
>  http://www.ayf.org/~c_raffi/bioperl/Seq.pod-docs.html
>
>  I was able to implement most of Georg's suggestions, however:
>
>  - I've given up on trying to use ReadSeq via bidirectional piping.
>    perhaps someone with stronger perl skills can integrate readseq
>    into this module with a litle more elegance :)

I really hope we can find a solution here !
Steve, what do you think ? (I've appended the only comment Chris got at
c.l.p.m about the matter.) I think integrating ReadSeq is very important b/c
it also gives users a way for input+output in case the Perl routines fail
(and we shouldn't exclude this possiblity until we look at the formal
definitions of the formats involved, and ``prove'' that our routines
work etc., or at least test them very stringently.)

>  - I was not able to fix/play with the dup() method which is still
>    broken at this time.

Chris: Did you ever look into Data::Dumper ? It seems like a possible workaround.

>  - I've added methods for out_pir(), out_genbank() and out_primer(),
> changed the POD and moved quite a bit of stuff around. I've left other
> notes scattered throughout Seq.pm

Chris/Steve: What do you think still needs to be done before we do a first release
(to those approx. 15 ppl who responded to my recent call for beta-testers) ?
At laest we still need to expand/clean up the POD.
Chris: Can you wrap things up, try to get as much as possible done from your
to-do list, and then let's have one last detailed look before a first
release in mid-January ? Does that sound ok?

best wishes + happy new year!
georg