[Biojava-dev] Pairwise Alignment methods

Felipe Albrecht felipe.albrecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:40:48 UTC 2008

Hello,

I saw the commit and I think that this solution is not the better.
I think it because you are creating internally two Sequence and probably the
programmer will not use others alignment information,  he will use only the
score.

Because it, I think that if you have 2 SymbolList, just do the alignment and
return the score, as I did.Otherwise, If the programmer want the "visual
alignment", he should create externally the SimpleSequences, it is, not the
method must do it.

IMHO, one [serious] problem in biojava is the memory consumption, it have
not "lightweight" classes or methods that do the things quickly. Because it,
may be is a good choice to have a method that simply gives the alignment
score, and not do the others things, like backtracking. Another think, the
cost of the "instanceof" is high.

Thank you,

Felipe Albrecht